Measures that Pay-off within 2-5 Years
- Increase attic insulation to R-38 (the current requirement for new homes).
- Insulate floors over unheated spaces to R-19.
- Insulate and seal ducts in attics, crawl spaces, garages and other unheated areas-potential big energy savings!!
- Install do-it-yourself storm windows that cost less than $3/sq.ft. such as rigid acrylic glazing.
- Perform low-cost fireplace modifications, such as flue top damper or inexpensive glass doors.
Source Material: Washington State University Cooperative Extension Energy Program at the NW Energy Efficiency Alliance. January 2003